Friday, August 6

Hypocrisy rules the day

I was thrilled to see U.S. District Chief Judge Vaughn Walker rule Proposition 8 in California Unconstitutional. Hooray! It seems that he read the Constitution after all. Not like those that were for Prop 8 in the first place.

Take Newt Gingrich, for example. This man had his hey-day already, running Congress (basically) for years, and making that stupid "Contract with America" that seems to have made it wrong to discuss any opposition to what our government is doing, be it engaging in wars or cutting taxes on the rich. I always thought questioning the government's actions was patriotic. Silly me!

Newt's got a YouTube video out to explain the need for Prop 8 and the horrible "activist judges" that strike down unconstitutional legislation. Funny, I never hear complaints about "activist judges" when they agree with him. Anyway, here's the video:



And, of course, he had to go on the O'Reilly Factor back in November to explain why we need to save marriage. Here's the video of that:



Newt's own words, according to Think Progress, are quite hilarious. He says, "Judge Walker's ruling overturning Prop 8 is an outrageous disrespect for our Constitution and for the majority of people of the United States who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife." Apparently, the Constitution is a sacred and holy text, unless it doesn't jive with your religious and homophobic beliefs.

What I really want to know is why is gay marriage so dangerous? What does it do to me? How does it affect my marriage, or my life? No one can answer that question, which makes me suspicious of their motives. Nearly everyone my age couldn't care less if the LGBT community was allowed equal rights. Marriage seems like the least they should receive.

And when people (like Newt) complain about the danger gay marriage poses to marriages in general, I say what about divorce? Now, as I see it, that's the real danger to marriage. And Newt's had 3 wives so far! From my perspective, he's a threat to marriage more than my gay friends and neighbors.

I can understand if there are some who believe that my views are wrong. But those beliefs are not religious in origin. My beliefs about equal rights are from learning about what America was founded on -- Freedom! Equality! I do not believe that our govnernment should be deciding anything moral. That's a religious thing. It seems that many have forgotten that there is a separation of Church and State (supposedly) in this great Nation. Many people talk about how the Founding Fathers were Christian. Actually, not all of them were, but that's another post for another day. Even if they all were, they specifically wrote the Constitution so that the government was not allowed to choose a religion for the people. They are not supposed to favor one religious belief over another.

If the Tea Party and the Republicans have their way, though, the Christian religion will be the theocracy of America. And their blindness to the hypocrisy of that is astonishing!

BTW, if you want to let Newt know your thoughts, you can find him on Twitter. His handle is @newtgingrich.

Mine is @CancerMommy. I'd love to hear your thoughts, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment