Monday, May 24

LOST, and how I've been there already

Well, now everyone in America seems to be talking about the LOST finale. I was a late adoptee of the show, but loved it, and watched the last episode AND the Jimmy Kimmel show after. (I even had to run out and buy a new tv so I could watch the show last night, but that's another story for another blog post!)

As I was surfing through my regular web haunts, ahem, I mean, blogs, I kept reading everyone's own interpretation of the finale and the show. (One of my favorites is Jane's over at This Week for Dinner.) I love reading what others thought of what it all meant! I don't know if I have an opinion on it all yet, I think I'm still mulling it all over.

One thing that strikes me as I read all these opinions, however, is that I've already been where all the characters in LOST were. Not literally, of course, since I'm not dead yet. But I have had to face my fears, and think about my life. I've had to be "awakened" in a sense with my diagnosis. I took time to re-evaluate my life, what I'm doing with it, how I'd like to change it, and started making changes. And the great thing is, I didn't have to die to do it!

I sometimes feel like something's been taken from me, with my awareness of just how fragile life can be. But other times, I see it as a true gift. When someone you know passes away, there is always a reflection of your own life, and a realization that it is not something to be taken for granted. There are the moments where you think to yourself, "I need to appreciate every day, every person, in my life." My advantage is that I truly do think these things every day since I was diagnosed. I take time to listen to my friends and family, and to tell them just how important they are to me. It's something that has made my life more meaningful, and certainly more colorful.

Have you had these same feelings? Do you feel like you've had an awakening? Or maybe I'm just losing it a bit, now that LOST has left. I'd love to know anyone's story. Post your comments and let's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment